Nutella and Apricot PreservesWeekends though is a different matter altogether. Without the rush breakfast can actually be an enjoyable affair and this is when I try out new things. Not that I do it every single week but occasionally I try to make the effort.
savory - with mango thokku pickle, harissa or humus would work tooThis recipe lends itself to several different variations - sweet or savory you take your pick. Fresh fruits or preserves or nut butters again there are several options.
Mexican French Toast Rolls Ingredients
- 1 loaf whole wheat bread (you can trim the edges or leave them be)
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Apricot Preserves, Nutella, Mango Thokku pickle - about a few tbsp of each
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of milk
- Powdered sugar with 1/4 tsp cinnamon, I did not use cinnamon
Now roll it in the powdered sugar/cinnamon mixture or just sprinkle on top and serve with more preserves or Nutella on the side.
- Using a rolling pin roll, roll the bread slices so they are flat and thin.
- Spread about a 1 - 1 1/2 tsp of any spread you are using and roll them like a cigar.
- Make a mixture of the egg and milk and whisk it well with a fork.
- Dip the rolls in the egg mixture like you would for French toast.
- Heat a skillet and spread it with butter (I just take the stick of butter and rub it once to cover the surface) and when the butter turns hot place the soaked rolls as many as would fit in one layer.
- Let it cook and brown a bit on all sides.