Wishing everyone of you dear readers a Very Happy New Year!New Year means new resolutions and healthy eating. I have resolved to eat more salads with a lot of legumes and this recipe is a start. Chick peas is this protein powerhouse which I realize we should eat more than we are doing now. When I say salads I do not mean green leafy vegetables but lighter cooked salads. Salads are successful when the dressing is tasty and light. I also like them to have a spicy kick and American pickles serve the purpose. If you do not have access to those, vinegar soaked green chilies would be a good substitute or a few splashes of your favorite hot sauce. I have used red rice but wild rice or even brown rice can be used.
Red Rice and Chick Peas Salad Ingredients
- 1 cup of red rice (or any rice of choice)
- 2 cups of chick peas soaked overnight
- 3 Perisan cucumbers sliced
- 2 tbsp of chopped jalapeno pickled peppers
- 2 tbsp of lime juice + 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of grape fruit slices
- 1/4 cup of feta cheese
- salt to taste
Can be served as lunch or dinner.
- Cook the red rice as per instructions. Soak the rice for an hour and cook it in 2 cups of water.
- Cook the chick peas until soft. Take care not to make it mushy.
- In a large bowl mix together the rice and chickpeas.
- Whisk together lime juice,salt and olive oil and add to the rice.
- Add in the sliced cucumbers and peppers.
- Add in the grape fruit and gently toss them together.
- Top with feta cheese.