Thursday, January 5, 2012

Shrimp stir fry with Red Bell Peppers and Snow Peas

It is the New Year and resolutions are the in thing. I read that resolutions regarding eating and exercising are 60% of all resolutions that people make in the beginning of the year. There is plenty of advice regarding eating right if you look around. The problem is most advice in terms of amount of food required is in terms of calories. The max calories required, the optimal fat calories, protein calories etc.. I find calculating the calories I consume hard to keep track of and I bet it is for a few of you as well. Unless it is prepackaged food calculating calories is a hard task I have realized.



A slightly easier way to keep track might be in terms of cups and table spoons I would think. It has helped me control my food intake. Though the Indian diet is carbohydrate heavy it is easily adaptable to keep be it carbohydrates, protein, sugar or fat in check. Since vegetables play a predominant role a slight decrease in other groups and a proportional increase in the vegetable intake is always a good thing and with some work a possibility.


The best advice I have heard regarding food control is writing down the time and the amount of food consumed in a measure that works. This would show the times we tend to overeat and also the different categories of foods - proteins, carbohydrates, fats etc. and their amounts. This tracking over a period of time will help in revealing how we can control what should be controlled.

Today's recipe is one that lends itself to any kind of diet. Stir fries are very popular in our household especially the Indo-Chinese variety. Shrimp along with bell pepper and snow peas are perfect as these vegetables seem to be made for stir frying.





The recipe is one I saw on America's Test Kitchen. The vibrant colors are what attracted me to the stir fry. A very simple recipe with ingredients that are found in most pantries and along with some Jasmine Rice this is one very quick and satisfying meal.




Shrimp stir fry with red Bell Pepper and Snow Peas
Ingredients
1. 18-20 Medium sized shrimp
2. 1 Red Bell Pepper seeded and cut into cubes
3. 1 1/2 cup of snow peas
4. 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
5. 2 tbsp of sliced shallots
6. 2 garlic cloves sliced
7. 2-3 tsp of oil

for marination
1. 1/2 tbsp of oil
2. 1/2 tbsp of minced garlic
3. 1 tbsp of minced ginger
4. 1/2 tsp of salt
Marinate the shrimp with the ingredients mentioned above.

For the Sauce
1. 1/2 tbsp of jaggery
2. 1 tbsp of lime juice
3. 1/2 tbsp of white vinegar (see note)
4. 1 tbsp of chilli sauce (or chilli garlic sauce, I used Sriracha chilli sauce)
5. 1/2 tbsp of oil
6. 2 tsp of corn starch
7. 1 tsp of soy sauce
8. 1 1/2 tbsp of ketchup
Whisk the above together and set aside

Method
1. Heat 2 tsp of oil to smoking and saute the bell pepper and snow peas till they start to blacken around the edges. Set aside.
2. Add the sliced green onions, shallots and garlic and let them saute till they turn brown.
3. Bring the heat to low and add in the shrimp, let it cook for a minute on aside, flip and cook on the other side for a minute. (see note)
4. Add in the sauce and let the shrimp poach and cook for a couple of minutes till the sauce gets nice and hot.
5. Stir in the vegetables, toss to coat the sauce and turn off the heat.

Note:
1. Just White Vinegar could be used instead of the lime juice. I do not like the overpowering taste of vinegar, so I use a combination.
2. Not cooking the shrimp in very high heat is also important so the shrimp don't get tough and rubbery.

Serve over steamed Jasmine rice.

11 comments:

  1. Drooling over the picture... I love shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this dish..Bookmarked to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the vibrant color of the dish...bookmarked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this! Looks so delicious - I am so making this dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make a resolution every year to make changes to my eating habits but never kept it up so far so this year never even thought about it.
    Shrimp looks delicious and I too do not like the vinegar taste. I am going to try with lime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw the pic in FG i had to come over, looks super super delicious. Some 14 yrs ago I went to weigh wathcer and it did work for me, minus point was when i stoped going my weight creeped up after a year.
    I muslef would love to loose some of my flabs. Beautiful and delicious shrimp dish. Happy new year to you and your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare & delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fresh colours of the stir fry and the prawns must be juicy in that sauce!

    Wish you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly vibrant colors of the stir fry. Anything with shrimp is a delight to have.

    Have a very Happy Year ahead Indo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, healthier eating -- my New Year's deal #3! ;) Shrimp stir fry looks like a good way to begin dreary (albeit snow-free) January, ISG... photos are making me hungry already :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks really good, quick to prepare...am sure to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.