Firing up the oven to cook pizza or for that matter anything else in the oven in the summer is not appealing to me or my power bill. But all this does not mean the talk of pizza by the kids stops.
So an easy pizza with very less oven time had to be devised. Flat breads or the Indian store bought roti or naan provide the perfect base for just such a thing. The kids (and so do the adults) like it a lot and can be put together very easily with a minimum fuss.
You can be as creative as you want with the toppings. The breads are small enough to go into a toaster oven and it is easy enough for the kids to put together themselves.
We used onions and tomatoes as topping. Mushrooms, grilled zucchini, bell peppers, blanched spinach are all good. Since they are going on top of precooked bread make sure the veggies are partially or fully cooked.
Quick and easy Pizza
1. 4-6 storebough Kulcha Naan or Flat breads
2. 1 onions chopped or sliced
3. 1 tomato chopped
4. 1 clove garlic minced
5. 2 tsp chili powder/black pepper powder
6. 1/2 cup of feta cheese (or any cheese)
7. salt to taste
8. 1 tsp oil
1. In a pan add oil and when hot add the onions and saute till they are soft
2.Add in the garlic and saute for a minute followed by the tomatoes and let them get mushy
3. Add salt to taste and the chili powder
4. Set aside
To assemble pizza
5. Spread the onion tomato topping on the flat bread or naan
6. Sprinkle cheese on top
7. Put in toaster oven at 400F for 5-6 minutes till the cheese just starts to melt (with feta the color changes a little bit)
8. Broil for a minute, cut and enjoy
1. Be watchful of the bread in the oven. They tend to burn quickly.