The potatoes from the backyard garden or more accurately DD's potatoes needed a good recipe to showcase their fresh hardy taste. One look at these delicious Spiced potato fries DD decided that's what her potatoes were destined to be. We are taking it along to Nupur's Blog Bite-6 potluck. What is a potluck without some potatoes?
These being brand new potatoes, they had to be cooked twice as longer than the regular store bought potatoes. A lone okra (RC, okras are finicky creatures so don't be discouraged) was added to the mix. Here is how I made the potatoes.
Recipe Source: RedChillies - Spiced Potato Fry
Spicy stir fried potatoes
1. 3 cups of cubed potatoes (I left the skin on)
2. 4-5 green chilies slit + 1 tbsp sliced garlic
3. 1 tbsp ginger grated
4. 2 tsp turmeric powder
5. 2 tsp red chili powder
6. 1 tsp pepper powder (or to taste)
7. seasonings: curry leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seeds
8. 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
9. salt to taste
10. 2 tsp oil
1. In a sauce pan filled with salted water,cook the potatoes fully but they should still hold their shape
2. In a wide mouthed pan (kadai) heat the oil and when hot add the seasonings. When the mustard starts to splutter add the ginger and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes. Garlic should not burn
3.Add the turmeric, chili and pepper powders and give a good stir. Add the okra and boiled potatoes, salt and toss them well.
4. Reduce the heat to below medium and stir fry till the desired roasting is achieved. (15 minutes)
5. Sprinkle the lemon juice, mix it in and then saute for another 10 minutes or so.
Serve with rice or chapatis.