The gulab jamun making process takes better part of a day starting with the preparation of the khova to frying up the balls and dunking them in sugar syrup. Grandma had asked the milk man from the farm to bring in 4 litres of milk. 4 litres of milk yeilds 1 Kg of Khova. Without further adieu I present here the step by step process of making gulab jamuns. 7 different people were involved in the process (ammayee, mom,athai, ammayee's helper, DD, DD2 and me) along the way. When there is company even the most arduous task becomes a pleasure.
Gulab Jamun making process in pictures
1. Start out by setting the milk to boil in a heavy bottomed wide mouthed pan
Keep stirring as the milk reduces to avoid milk getting burnt - half way stage
Continue stirring, takes atleast 3-4 hours - almost done
Stop the heat when the milk solids come together as a mass - khova ready
Mix half a kilo of maida flour with the khova (the ratio of khova : maida = 1:3, don't overdo the maida)
Mix a tbsp of yogurt (curd) mixed with a tsp of baking soda
Dough incorporated with flour and yougurt
Getting the syrup ready
Take the required amount of sugar and add enough water to just cover the sugar and bring it to a boil. Squeeze a half of a lemon
Strain the syrup to remove any impurities
With the dough make small round balls about 3/4 inches in diameter
Heat 2 cups of ghee and deep fry the balls
Soak the balls in sugar syrup
Ready to enjoy
1. 4 litres whole milk
2. 1/2 kg maida (all purpose flour)
3. 1 tbsp curd (yogurt)
4. 1 tsp baking soda
5. 2 cups ghee
6. 2 litres of sugar
7. 1/2 lemon
To Make Khova
1. In a wide mouthed heavy bottom pan add the milk and heat it in a medium flame. (add a couple of stainless steel spoons into the milk to avoid burning)
2. Reduce the milk for 3-4 hours till the milk solidifies and becomes thick.
3. Whip together yogurt and baking soda
4. To the khova add the flour and yougurt mixture and knead till it forms a pliant dough. (make sure not to add too much flour, just enough flour to make the khova pliant)
4. Make 3/4 inch diameter balls and set aside
Prepare sugar syrup
1. In a pan add the sugar and just enough water to cover the sugar. Heat till it comes to a boil.
2.Squeeze the half of the lemon (this is to avoid sugar crystals). Set aside.
1. Heat the ghee and deep fry the balls, adding a few at a time till golden brown.
2. Cool the balls and soak them in the sugar syrup.
3. Let sit for a few hours.