Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pan Roasted Cauliflower and Creek Visit

After the non-stop rains of last week the weekend was beautiful with no humidity and a slight breeze. We were curious to check out the water levels in the creek which was very low during the late winter and early spring. Took a slow walk to the creek. The rains had surely helped, the water was gushing along and the path had tall grass swaying in the wind. Our plans was to fly the kite in the meadow so we had brought along the kite but no camera and had to make do with DH's cell phone camera.

Photobucket
Creek

Photobucket
Serene and Peaceful


As we were walking along the creek, we came by a fallen tree, probably lying there for a few years now. The tree provided a pathway to the island in the center of the creek with a lot of pebbles and smooth stones which the kids could not resist. DD,DD2 and DD's friend also had come along. DH made the climb across, which means DD would most definitely follow and you know the routine. Everyone but me made it across and came back armed with smooth stones and pebbles and planning to return soon.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Making it across


We were of course extremely careful and I could help but reminiscence what our reaction would have been if we came across something like this when we were kids. Most definitely an adult would not have been involved and the rare chance an adult was around and we were stopped from doing something we would have gone there again without an adult and tried it out. Where has the spirit of adventure gone from kids these days? We(by which I mean parents) have probably driven them out kids with our fear of everything and anything. We read and watch and listen to the most obscure dangers and imagine them to be lurking in every corner. The more educated the parent the more restrictions that are placed on the children what with the availability of repeated replay something happening in a far away continent would induce a whole host of restrictions for the kids. We of course do not stop to think of the damage that these additional restrictions wreak on our children. But I digress.



Photobucket
Ah! Nature!

Cauliflower is one vegetable that does not induce groans or moans and is enjoyed by everyone if (a big If) if prepared the right way. The only complaint I would hear of it is when it is cooked to mush. If the cauliflower is dry or crunchy it is relished by all. Srivalli had posted this Dry Spiced Cauliflower recipe on her lunch box series which I wanted to try. The addition of powdered peanuts was the speciality here but I did not have any so added powdered dhalia
instead.


Photobucket



Pan Roasted Cauliflower
Ingredients
1. 1 head of cauliflower - florets separated into desired size and washed and drained completely
2. 1/2 Medium sized Red onion chopped
3. 2 cloves garlic minced
4. 1/2 tbsp chili powder (adjust to taste)
5. 1 tsp turmeric powder
6. 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
7. 1 tsp cumin powder
8. 1 tbsp powdered dhalia/roasted channa dal (pottukadali)
9. salt to taste
10. seasonings: cumin,mustard and curry leaves
11. 1 tsp oil

Method
1. Heat oil in a roasting pan and add the seasonings.
2. Saute the onion and garlic till translucent.
3. Add the chili,turmeric,coriander and cumin powders and give a good stir
4. Now add the cauliflower and salt, give a good toss, close the lid and cook for 10 minutes
5. Remove the lid and if there is any moisture let it cook on high heat till all the water evaporates.
6. Add the dhalia powder and mix well to coat all the florets.

18 comments:

  1. Cauliflower dish looks delicious..mouth watering:) the kids look adorable..seems they had lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave kids and braver parents! :) That cauliflower bhaji looks super delicious, ISG!

    Wedding all done. Very eventful too. Will write about it in the blog. No energy to cook anything right now! Need a few more days to recoup, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gobi looks delicious....Looks like the kids had loadsa fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write-up! Glad to see the kids had so much fun. Cauliflower looks great and perfectly cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The creek sure does look pretty and cauliflower is a favorite veggie at our place too. I have a version of pan-roasted cauliflower which gives crispy results.. must try this version sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that cross over looked pretty tricky.. yes we did drive out the adventure :-( & I have to admit that I would have had second thoughts before I allowed my dd to do that..would have probably given in.. but knowing myself who know, depending on the mood, i would have done it too..

    every one in our family loves cauliflower too..in whatever way i make it, it sure is appreciated. I have never used dahlia in it, but do make it with podi powder. Yours looks like the dry yummy kind which would go so well with luchis:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Family time is always fun time.....Cauliflower curry looks yum...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes am surprised about myself when i restrict my daughter to do something and then afterwards i will be saying to my self when i was a kid i was allowed /or did all these and I restrict my daughter.
    I guess we parent worry to much these days. But then i tell better to worry than saying why i didn't stop her doing this or that .
    Love the pan roasted cauliflower looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indo, u're maing me jealous! I am a parent who would jump first on the tree :) I love water and this place is a real bliss. Yeah you are true on the restrictions but both my mom and sis are very particular when I try something of that sort. Thy leave the kids as they are. The pics are also conveying the fun you had there. A perfect picnic spot indeed. Cauliflower + crunchiness is a definite hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful day out! :) Dry cauliflower is one of the favorites at home too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your recipe looks super delicious . I purchased a cauliflower this week while doing groccery shopping . Will try today itself & let you know .
    Looks like you guys had lots of fun ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Indo, thanks for visiting me. Yeah, it's a whole different World that Bangalore.Don't know whether I should be happy or sad. Houses are so narrow and tall like they have in Amsterdam, due to lack of space!!
    I did have a panic attack on the 3rd night(heat and Mosquitoes!), wanted to come back immediately but friends comforted me and it was okay after that!:D
    Next time, it will be sometime in December, wouldn't dare to go there in Summer.
    Enjoy your Summer, see you in Fall.I am sick like a dog right now! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok truth be told I was not a very adventurous kind myself :) so you know how I am as a parent :D

    That creek looks very beautiful though would love walks by it, no crossing or such. DD2 looks so tall !!!

    Cauliflower is much loved, this dish is yumm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nirmala, that is the way it got to be. Who said just because we are parents we can't jump on fallen trees and cross into a creek :)
    Thanks to amma and sister for keeping you in check.

    Soma, that is the way it ought to be. Enjoy life through the eyes of a kid.

    Sandeepa, yes DD is growing like a weed :) You love it here. Come over we can camp in my backyard and go for walks near the creek. Idli, Dosai and sambhar will be served ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cauliflower looks fantastic...sounds like you had a good time with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a lovely recipe!Looks crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah! I am the same way too. I am the least adventerous person and I worry that I will rub off some of it on my DS. Not sure how to make him adventerous.
    Like the pan roasted version of cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful Recipe... Looks nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.