Thursday, October 30, 2008

Peas Pulao (Pulav)

The Christian Science Monitor website is one of my favorite websites for getting news. Though I have never been a subscriber of their newspaper, kind of sad to read that they are stopping their daily newspaper and shifting to a web based format only, from 2009. Nov 25 will be the 100th anniversary of the newspaper. On the other hand I am glad they plan to enhance the web site.

Winter seems to be here already though it is still Fall :( Old Farmer's almanac predicts a colder and snowier winter!

Pulaos in my mind have always been party dishes more than everyday kind of food. I tend to cook Briyanis lot more than Pulaos for some reason, does not make sense but thats how it has been. So what better way to start Pulao making than Peas Pulao. The Pulao requires a gravy side dish whereas Biryani is perfect with just a raita. We just had this Pulao with a bit of yogurt on the side and it was perfect that way.

Before I move on to the Pulao, I have had queries on how to use horsegram besides the chutney and rasam,if you are one of them head on over to Kay's One bite at a time for a taste of a very tasty Kollu Kulambu. I tried it and I am hooked.

Photobucket



Serves : 2-3
Ingredients
1. 1 Cup Basmati Rice, washed and soaked for about 1/2 hour [Rice:Water :: 1 : 1.5]
2. 3/4 Cup Fresh or Frozen Green Peas
3. 1/2 Onion Cut into thin strips
4. 4 - garlic cloves
5. 1 inch piecs of ginger
6. 6 green chilies (or according to taste)
[ Mince the garlic, ginger and green chilies in a food processor]
7. 2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
8. seasonings, cloves, small cinnamon stick, fennel seeds a few and cumin seeds
9. 1 tsp ghee, 1 tsp oil

Method
1. In a Pressure cooker heat oil abd add the seasonings when they start to brown add the onions and saute till translucent.
2. Add the ginger,garlic,green chili mince and saute till the whole mass turns slightly brown
3. Now add salt and the green peas and saute for a bit
4. Add the rice and mix it well.
5. Now add water check for taste. Adjust salt, heat. I added red chili powder at this stage because it was too sweet.
6. Let the water come to a boil and the rice 3/4th cooked and most of the water is gone.
7. Close the pressure cooker and cook on low medium for 7-8 minutes. Turn off heat and take the cooker off the stove and source of heat.
8. Open the lid when the cooker cools downs and fluff up the rice.

Serve with Vegetable Kurma in the recipe substitute beans, carrots, cauliflower for the peas.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds simple n delish.I too make biryanis more often than pulao.You can send this to Rice Mela if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right this is perfect for parties.... mild & delightful.. i made this just last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this dish :) .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pulao and make it almost the same way. Looks delicious and always welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peas Pulav looks delicious, light yet tasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple comfort food....i hog for pulao and spicy biryanis...can't resist any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love rice dishes ..this one i my all time fav..

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love peas pulao .. very comforting & simple

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love green peas like anything love this pulao too... urs looks delicious...easiest one

    ReplyDelete
  10. See, I'm still not completely confident about cooking rice in a pressure cooker. How do you know how much water t put so it doesn't turn into mush?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mallika I know what you are saying, I had a lot of mushy Briyani before I hit on the right ratio and pressure cooker time on the stove.

    For Basmati rice, it is usually 1 cup of rice and 1 1/2 cups of water. If the veggies or beans/chicken/goat you are adding to the rice requires water you increase by maybe a 1/4 cup of water but for Peas I usually do not add extra water.

    Close the lid of the pressure cooker only after the rice is 3/4 cooked and most of the water is gone and when you close the lid make sure the cooker is on the heat for not more than 7 minutes. I have arrived at this time for my particular pressure cooker but it might only vary by a minute or half for others.

    If the time increases the rice sticks to the bottom or if the water is bit much it gets mushy.

    I know I have not given you a fool proof method but the trick is to close the lid when the rice is half or 3/4 cooked, this way it never turns to mush.

    Let me know if you do try it out and how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll give this one a try... all my pressure cooker pulao have ended up too mushy or too dry till now :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you liked the kollu kulambu :) Thanks for the mention too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love one-pot dishes like this, especially for weekday lunches. I used MTR pulao masala to make beetroot pulao once and I am hooked to it now. Peas pulao with korma sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Basmati and peas together.....simple,beautiful dish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.