Saturday, October 11, 2008

Brinjals and Banana Peppers in a peanut sauce - Tried and Tasted

With all that is going on right now, the calmest and the happiest thing to do right now is to be in the kitchen cooking with garden fresh vegetables. With the temperatures falling, the garden is starting to sport a forlorn look. If only I can prolong it by a bit with some Fall vegetables. I should have started earlier I guess.

I am also on the look out for vegetables and greens that might survive through the winter outdoors in the North East. I don't know any and it would be great to find a few and fresh vegetables in the winter. What would be suitable for a container garden indoors?


Photobucket


I might have just harvested the last of the brinjals for this season though I still see a lot of buds and flowers. The curry I chose to make with them is Indira's Bagara Baingan (Nune Vankaya Kura) This would be an entry to Zlamushka's Tried and Tasted event. This has since become one of my favorite ways of cooking brinjal. I have cooked them stuffed or just added the brinjals to the sauce. Both are tasty.

Indira's love and appreciation for food and its preparation comes through in each and every one of her recipes. Though I have tasted and relished Andhra food, never actually cooked them the traditional way till I stumbled upon food blogs and Mahanandi in paticular. The majority of the dishes are similar to what is cooked up in Tamilnadu but the recipes are slighty different. Besides peanut chutney, I have never really noticed peanuts being used for sauces in TamilNadu cuisine. The peanut based sauce especially for brinjals is like a match made in heaven. Since I did not have enough brinjals added a few fresh banana peppers given by DDs piano teacher, harvested from her garden. They added a lovely color to the dish as well.

Serves : 4-6
Ingredients
1. Purple, White small brinjals 15-20 (mine were tiny) - slit but not cut in two
2. 4-5 Banana Pepper cut into rings and the seeds and fiber removed
3. 1/2 red onion chopped fine
4. seasoning: mustard seeds and curry leaves
5. tamarind a small lime sized soaked in water
6. 1 tsp jaggery

Photobucket


For the Paste
1. 1 1/2 tbsp of peanuts
2. 1/2 tbsp of channa dal
3. 2 tsp of split urad dal
4. 3 dried red chilies
5. 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
6. 1 1/2 ts cumin seeds
7. few pepper corns
8. few methi seeds
9. 1 tbsp grated coconut

Dry roast ingredients 1-8 and heat the coconut for a bit and then blend together into a paste

Method
1. In a heavy bottomed pan/ kadai/pressure cooker heat oil, add the seasonings and the onion and saute till translucent
2. Add the slit brinjals and saute till they start getting black spots on top. Add the bell peppers
3. Now add the blended paste, along with the tamarind and about a cup of water and let it cook for a bit.
4. Add salt and close the lid and cook for a whistle if in pressure cooker/ or cook till the brinjals are soft and cooked completely.
5. Open and let it cook if too watery, add the jaggery and turn off the heat.

Tastes best with rice but goes well with rotis as well.

13 comments:

  1. mmm.looks so good. anything with brinjals taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...
    This is a cool gravy. Look so good. Brinjals and peanut pairs good. Will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Looks nice. I am not sure the conditions indoors in the winter is suitable for any kind of vegetable. With the heat on, the air gets too dry. If you do find something that works please post in on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sure looks interesting. Just lot in brinjals from the market today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm I woulf love to have it with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, you have a way with fresh garden veggies ISG... next year I want to try more peppers and bananas are on the list. I learned they are the same pepper used to make the ubiquitous 'pepproncini' found pickled in the stores etc.

    I agree re: Indira's recipes. And I wish I could afford all the tasty, peanutty calories on a daily basis! ;)

    For indoor gardens -- I don't know how it would grow inside but I do know chard seems to like the cool weather -- it's the one thing still going strong on my deck now and I have that in a container.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first visit here! Your layout looks so well organized and clean! Interesting recipes too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brinjal and tamarind, another inspiring creation. Its simple to try, I will go for it. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. I'll eat anything with brinjal in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brinjal is one my favorite veggie.. and peanut sauce combo sounds super delicious!! Will try it soon..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the last bunch of banana peppers from the garden. Love the recipe ISG, will be trying it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vidya, sure will do.

    Sunshinemom, thanks.

    ANI, glad to see you again. How is it going with you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. deleciouss curry ,love the peanut sauce

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.