Masala Powders takes many avatars Curry Masala Powder, Madras Curry Powder, Chicken Masala Powder, Meat Masala Powder etc. The powders are made from a combination of coriander seeds, cumin, turmeric, red chilies, cloves, cinnamon,cardamom,garlic, ginger, curry leaves give or take a few. Nothing can replace toasting these ingredients fresh, powdering them and using them but in a pinch a packet of any of these powders will come quiet handy.
The Chicken Masala powder has nothing to do with chicken, it is a masala powder that can be used to season chicken hence the name :)
Was watching Bill Moyers, NOW last night on our local PBS station about Hunger in America and about the Farm bill and Farm Subsidies, the most recent farm bill expected to be passed this week in congress. Both important issues and know more about.
Recipe Source: Damodaran's Samayal Kalanjiyam Cookbook
1. 1 Small head of cauliflower cut to florets
2. 1 Bell Pepper seeded and cut into small cubes
3. 3/4 red onion chopped fine
4. 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
5. 7-8 cloves of garlic chopped fine
6. 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
7. 2 tsp chili powder
8. 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
9. 1 tsp turmeric powder
10. salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions and saute till they start to turn brown
2. Add the garlic,ginger and tomatoes and saute till they are soft and mushy
3. Now add the powders and mix well.
4. Add the cut bell pepper and cauliflower, sprinkle a tbsp of water, salt, cover and cook till the cauliflower reached the desired softness.
Substitute cauliflower and bell pepper with cooked potatoes and Peas.
Serve with Peas Pulao.