Eggs and Kids make a happy pair, so any recipe that uses eggs alwasy piques my interest. Of late we have taken a liking to Sweet Potatoes especially the roasted one with just a bit of seasoning. So a recipe which uses Sweet Potatoes and Eggs have to be given a try. The recipe is from the Food Section of this week's Washington Post. This is a perfect brunch or a lunch dish. As for the family absence of rice is a major cause for celebration. There is no comparision to home made fresh tasting Salsa.
Recipe Source: Tacos de Huevos
1. 3/4 Red Onion sliced thin
2. Kosher Salt
3. 1 tsp of crushed cumin
5. 1 tbsp of distilled white Vinegar + Apple Cider Vinegar
7. Coriander leaves (I did not use them)
1. In a sauce pan heat about 2 cups of water. When it comes to a boil
2. add the salt and the sliced onions
3. add the Vinegar and let it boil for about 5-8 minutes and
4. Drain the onions and rinse with cold water
5. Toss with the cumin and pepper
Salsa and Tacos de Huevos
1. 2 Sweet Potatoes washed and sliced and tossed with a bit of seasoning ( I used sambhar powder and salt) and spread them out on a baking sheet sprayed with oil
2. 4 Eggs
3. 4 Whole Wheat Tortillas
4. Shredded Asiago Cheese (optional)
5. Salt and Pepper
6. Pickled Onions
1. 1 1/2 Cups Cherry tomatoes
2. 2 Jalapenos slit and the seeds and stems removed
3. 5 cloves of garlic
4. 4 heads of shallots peeled and cut in half
Spread the Veggies on baking sheet with just a spray of oil
1. Broil the Veggies, the salsa veggies on the top rack and the Sweet Potatoes on the rack below for about 15 -20 minutes till the tomatoes, shallots and peppers are blackened on top.
2. Transfer the salsa ingredients to a food processor with some salt and blend leaving them slightly chunky
3. Heat a skillet and heat a tortilla, transfer to a serving plate.
4. Heat a second skillet, brush with a bit of oil or butter and break an egg, leave the egg yolk undisturbed or can be broken (as per preferance), season with salt and pepper, cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes till desired texture.
5. Place the egg on the tortilla.
6. Spread few of the roasted sweet potatoes, top with the salsa, pickled onions.
7. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and finely chopped coriander if using.
Enjoy folded like a taco or a rolled like a burrito