Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Porotta Kurma - Peas Kurma

What kind of food comes to mind when I think of long car trips in the US? the fast food McD kind of food, I can't resist the fish sandwich and french fries. On the other hand a long road trip in India always reminds me of the road side Porotta stalls open all through the night even in the remote parts, lit up with bright tube lights with a big griddle sitting in front of the store and hot hot porottas being made on them. The porottas are usually served with mixed vegetable kurma or dried peas kormas. Soaked in this korma, the porotta's taste delicious all caution to the wind about the road side eatery, it is piping hot what could possible go wrong and seriously I or the family have never fallen sick eating them. Got a packet of dried peas a long time ago to recreate this road side korma and finally the day did arrive.

Read about Inji's very interesting take on her road side favorite.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Peas Kurma

1. 1 1/2 Cups of Dried Peas soaked overnight (can be cooked prior)
2. 1/4 Red onion chopped
3. Seasonings curry leaves, cumin,mustard
4. 1 + 1 tsp oil
5. salt

For the Paste
1. 1/2 Medium Red onion + 10 Small Red onions
2. 3 medium sized red tomatoes
3. 1 1/2 tbsp grated coconut
4. 1 tbsp corriander seeds
5. 1 tsp cumin seeds
6. 3 Red chilies
7. a pinch or two of fennel seeds
8. 3 cloves
9. a 1 inch piece of cinnamon
10. 4 garlic pods + 1 inch piece of ginger
11. 1 tsp of turmeric powder

Saute the ingredients 1-10, first the onions when translucent start adding all others with coconut being the last and when cool add the turmeric powder blend to a paste.

Method
1. In a pan heat oil add the seasonings followed by the onion and saute till translucent.
2. Now add the peas and mix and let them cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the blended mixture with about 2-3 cups of water (the peas were not cooked so enough water to cook them, DO NOT add salt) . If you using cooked peas reduce the water to about a 1 1/2 cup or the conistency desired.
4. Cover the lid and in medium let it cook till the peas have reached the consistency you desire.
5. Add salt and simmer for a minute.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Serve with Chaptis or Porottas. The taste was close enough, but I don't remember the exact taste anyway :)

20 comments:

  1. I used to go to this tiny restarusnt in B'lore which serves the best Parota and veg Kurma. I am drooling as I type!:D
    Kurma looks good, I will try. I always keep all kinds of beans at home!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious looking curry that is. Must've been lovely with chapathis/parottas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indo,
    this is my fav dish. I've had it twice or thrice on the roadsides. My parents did not allow me to enjoy this delicacy much due to hygiene factors. I was really happy to see your post with this nice recipe. Will surely try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds as good as it looks indo. i can imagine eating it with hot parotta at late night in roadside stall...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that really looks delicious...Will try it some time..:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks super yummy. your link to inji does not work because there are two "http"s in the url.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The korma looks really yumm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please take a look at my latest post on my blog - http://my2centstoo.blogspot.com/

    A surprise waiting for you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yeah, eating off the roadside stalls has it's own charm heh!heh! ;)
    i liked ur spice combo, i usually use the dry peas for ragada patties :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bee, thanks I fixed the URL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, doesn't that look scrumptious ISG! I just happen to have some dried peas, too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks delicious...nothing like eating in a roadside stall on a journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! The roadside stall kinda' food livens up a day :). The parotta kurma combo is drool worthy! Love the use of yellow dried peas here! Slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  14. just lovely... I think this recipe can be adapted using different legume, too... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow looks gud. wanna try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice kurma for chapathi dear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmm the kurma looks real good...i right now can taste it in my mouth .....i know it must be 100% delicious

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too make this kurma but without grnding onions and tomatoes . I chop them and fry it instead of grinding. looks nice and sure would taste yumm with parrottas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So that is what this dish is called.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi ISG,
    Your version looks too good. Will try this for sure. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.