Sunday, October 7, 2007

Egg Curry with Gongura leaves

Egg Curry would fit the word Comfort Food in every sense of the word around our home. DD was not in a good mood and probably my fault to begin with, we had an argument. The easiest way and the way I know best is to bribe her with a dish that she likes most. Bribing with food is not wrong is it? Nothing rises to the occasion like Egg Curry and she was immediately pacified and looking forward to it and already helping me in the kitchen. My throat had a keech keech(remember the Vicks ad from a long time ago?) and was craving for some comfort, what else could soothe the throat perfectly like Egg Curry? There does not have to be that many reasons to cook Egg Curry anyway.

Usually add a little bit of lemon juice for a little tartness, this time substituted a handful of finely chopped gongura leaves for the slightly tart taste in every mouthful.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket




Ingredients
1. 6 Egg boiled peeled and split in half
2. 2 tbsp chopped onions
3. 1 tomato chopped
4. Handful of Gongura leaves chopped
5. 1 red chili powder
6. 3-4 green chilies slit
7. 1/2 tbsp corriander powder
8. 1 tsp cumin powder
9. 1 tsp garam masala powder/ chicken masala powder
10. seasoning : Curry leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seed
12. 1 tsp turmeric powder

Paste
1. 10 - 15 small red onions or shallots
2. 6 garlic cloves
3. 2" ginger
4. 1 tomato chopped rougly

Saute the above in a tsp of oil and blend to a paste


Method
1. In a pan heat a tsp of oil, add cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves
2. Saute the onion till translucent
3. Add the gongura leaves and saute till they wilt
4. Add the powders and mix well
5. Add the tomato and saute till soft
6. Add the blended mixture and about 1 cup of water and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes
7. Add the split eggs spoon the curry over, cover the lid and let sit for about 10 minutes

Serve with rice. Goes well with chaptis too but tastes the best with rice.

This will be my entry to the CLICK event hosted by the wonderful Bee and Jai at Jugalbandi

16 comments:

  1. YUM!! I made a egg curry yesterday too.Looks delicious Indo!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty new to the blogosphere.

    That recipe sounds so yummy. The picture is so tempting. Getting eager to try out your recipe soon :-)Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a thing wrong with food bribery, ISG, especially when the dish is as spectacular as this! I do that all the time with my daughter ;) I don't know what it is about your recipes, but when I see that rich red-brown gravy in the pics, it never matters to me what's swimming in there -- I just want a spoonful *right now* :)

    I bet DD's happy again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I meant to add -- I passed up fresh gongura leaves today at Indian store (can you believe that, I must be ill)!! Now I'm really annoyed with myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. egg and gongura? lovely combo. you could send this in for CLICK if you wish.

    http://jugalbandi.info/2007/09/click-october-2007-the-theme-is/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gongura in eggy curry tooo...wow. I love all egg curries so am sure would love this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven;t come across this combo, I don't use gongura, that's why maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wish i could find some gongura leaves here :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Asha :) great minds think alike :) :)

    Anitha, Welcome and glad you stopped by. You have some fantastic looking cakes on you blog.

    Linda, I feel better at the bribing part kids really enjoyed the dish even the little one - she does not much care for the gravy but the eggs she loves. you are welcome to as many spoonfuls as you want :)
    Surely next time Linda don't beat yourself up :)

    Bee thanks, this being a photography event I am a bit reluctant :)

    Sandeepa, they do taste great. My neighbor, yes the one who shares the leaves asked me to cook chicken with the leaves and I tried it first with Eggs.

    Jyothsna, this summer was the first time I cooked with them.

    Sia, cheer up lets find out a way :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Egg curry looks yum.. & the recipe is simple.. hope to try it soon, ISG.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried this combo of egg and gongura? Loved the deep color. I love eggs in any form and this recipe is so good for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Egg curry in any form is a winner for me... and I wouldn't mind anyone bribing me with food... :)... Sorry, a dumb question, what is gongura leaves? Looks like I am the only one who doesn't know :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi the dish looks too good i have never heard of adding gongura to egg...i wanna try it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah ha, you parents know the right buttons to push :) food as a bribe, how can that be resisted (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gongura is my fav. I can feed on it daily. But ever since leaving in North America, I could'nt get to to feast on them. This combo is new to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.