Is there any packed lunch that evokes memories of the good ol' days? Idli with Podi or Idli with ghee and sugar is that lunch for me. I am sure there are a quiet a bunch of us who carried it for lunch to school. Though I don't pack it for myself I do it regularly for DD. I have the mini idli pan which makes things a lot easier. DD does not much care for PBJ sandwiches or rice in her lunch box which leaves me with a very few choices. The trick is to pack a lunch that is nutritious and also seems like it is fast food. What better choice than Idli with podi, together with a cup of fruit or a yogurt makes it a pretty healthy lunch. Mom made some idli podi before she left to India. DD2 is very unhappy with the fact that grandma had to leave. DD1 has been subdued too.
1. 3/4 Cup of Urad Dal
2. 3 Tbsp of Channa Dal (Kadalai Paruppu)
3. 3 Red Chillies
4. Few Curry leaves
5. Small piece of Asfoetida
1. Dry roast the ingredients one after the other, roast urad dal and channa dal till they start to turn color
2. Cool and blend to a smooth powder.
Tastes good with Idlis, dosais or steamed rice
Idli with Podi/ Idli with Sugar
1. Cook Idlis.
2. Mix podi with ghee, (I usally use ghee or sesame oil), liberally apply on both sides.
3. For a few of them apply ghee on the idlis and then sprinkle with raw cane sugar.
Empty lunch boxe everty time.