Sunday, April 29, 2007

Minced Turkey Rendang

We reached an important milestone at work, so the powers be it decided that we should go out for lunch. We went to a Malaysian restaurant ordered the usual Roti Canai yummy and Mango Chicken, somebody had also ordered Lamb Rendang. I tasted a tiny bit of it and it tasted great. Later I came back and did some googling and found out that rendang is an Indonesian dish and is cooked by letting it simmer slowly on the stove.

I had a pack of minced turkey lying in the freezer and it was time. So I set out making Minced Turkey Rendang and hunted for recipes. I found an excellent blog for Malay recipes and recipe for Rendang. I did not have Coconut milk, lemon grass or galangal so left those out. I also added turmeric powder just by rote and hence the yellow color. The taste was nowhere near the rendang, I think the richness of coconut milk and also the slow simmering is required for the great taste. But this was still tasty a little different than the gravies that I usually make.






Ingredients

1. 1 lb Minced Turkey
2. 1/2 red onion - chopped
3. 6-8 small red onions
4. 3 red chillies
5. 5 gloves of garlic
6. 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger
7. 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
8. 1/2 tbsp fennel powder
9. 2 tbsp grated coconut
10. 1 tbsp lemon juice

Method
1. Saute ingredients 2-9 with a little bit of oil and blend to a paste
2. In a pressure pan add 1/2 tbsp of oil and saute the minced turkey for a few minutes
3. Add the ground paste and mix it well. Add salt, place the weight and cook for 3-4 whistles. If not using a pressure pan close the lid and cook for atleast 10 minutes.
4. Open the lid add lemon juice and saute till almost all the moisture is gone.

Serve with any kind of bread.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great meal after all the hard work Indo!:))

    Dish looks delicious.I love roti canai.You can substitute galangal with ginger and lemon grass with lemon juice.I make Kari Ayam,tastes great.Hope you had a great weekend too after that fab meal:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I hope it means a bonus for you in the near future!

    Oooooo! Mince turkey. Have two trays. One tray will be burgered. The other tray usually gets converted into this. This Rendang sounds like a yummy alternative! Will probably make it during the week. Will let you know. Already drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never tried this dish. I am not comfortable with minced meat till it is in cutlets or puffs. May be I should try this one:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asha, always love Malaysian meal and where I did not have to pay for it even better. Kari Ayam, I should look it up.

    Manisha, thanks, no talk of bonus but a lot more work coming our way, the meal is just an enticement.
    I make Kheema the same way you do. Give this rendang a shot, it called for a lot more chillies, the kids love chicken/turkey so I went easy on that.

    Reena, I know I don't cook minced meat a lot too, give try this, you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Indo...you will have some time now ;-)

    I cook minced chicken quite a lot, so this would be tried out next.
    I love Rendang, but the ones I had did not have minced meat. Did they serve Lamb Rendang with minced lamb ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandeepa, I sure hope so too.

    No the one that we had in the restaurant was not minced lamb, I used minced turkey because that had to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good and different, ISG. I would like to try with tofu, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I made this on Friday night. With a few variations - no red onions so used white onions. And used red chilli powder since I didn't make a paste like you recommended. I followed all other instructions and bunged everything in a pressure cooker. I also added 1/2 cup water as it looked dry to me. This was also the first time I was cooking ground turkey directly in the pressure cooker. But, it was fast and very delicious!

    Just one Q: the ground turkey was almost all one mass when I opened up the pressure cooker. I had to break it all up. Is this normal? Or did I do something wrong - besides not make a paste?

    We had it the next morning with crepes for a big brunch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Manisha, Glad you tried out the recipe and even gladder(?!) that you like it.

    I cook all minced meat in the pressure cooker for one important thing I am afraid of undercooking if I don't use a pressure cooker.

    Minced meat turn into one big mass if you don't break them before closing the lid.Fry for a few minutes and break the turkey apart and then close the lid. Once they are slightly cooked they tend not to stick together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.