Saturday, April 7, 2007

Bell pepper Jalfrezi

Last weekend two things happened, perused Nupur's 'J' episode in the A-Z Vegetables series, visited the grocery store where I found tricolor Bell Peppers which looked fresh and inviting and ofcourse I picked a pack.
Richa's Jalfrazie came to mind immediately and I was going to give it a whirl. I have noticed Jalfrezi in restaurant menus but something about the explaination of the dish itself or the fact that I did not know much about it had a role in me not having tasted this dish before. Next up was finding out what Jalfrezi meant, stir fried in a thick sauce, with either vegetables or Chicken is the gist of what I learnt.


Pretty much followed Richa's recipe and the end result was colorful, tasty and lip smacking.
Ingredients
1. 3 Bell peppers (Red, Green, Yellow) seeded cut into strips.
2. 1/2 Red Onions Chopped lengthwise
3. 1 Carrot cut into strips
4. 1 Potato cut into strips
5. 12 Fresh Green Beans French Cut
6. 6 garlic cloves chopped
7. 1 1/2 inch ginger piece grated
8. 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
9. 1/2 tbsp Chicken Masala Powder (I did not have garam masala)
10. 2 tsp cumin powder
11. 2 tsp turmeric powder
12. 2 tsp oil + 2 tsp ghee
13. Salt to taste

Blend
1. 2 Ripe tomatoes
2. 1 tbsp tomato paste
Puree the tomatoes along with the tomato paste


Method
1. In a pan heat oil and stir fry the Green Bean, Potatoes and Carrots till they are done and set aside.
2. In the same pan heat the ghee add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, add the bell pepper strips and saute till they start turning a little brown on the edges.
3, Add the garlic and grated ginger and saute them for a few minutes.
4. Add the powders and mix them well.
5. Now add the tomato puree and salt and cook on medium heat till the raw smell goes and the water has evaporated and the gravy is thick.
6. Now add the stir fried veggies, give it a good mix and turn off the heat after 4-5 minutes.

19 comments:

  1. Hi ISG,

    I'm so happy to know that Veg Jalfrazie turned out great in your kitchen!
    It is so encouraging to see fellow food enthusiasts appreciate your recipe (especially for a new blogger like me).
    Those multi color bell peppers look so good!
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice recipe and a nice blog..happy easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful, ISG. Love that first "burst-of-color" pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ISG,
    Colourful looking Jalfrazie. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so colourful. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a yummy looking jalfrezi. I always get the tri colored bell peppers from costco and stir fry it. so this is what a jalfrezi means.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ISG,

    that is one colorful dish, would Love to try this rolled and grilled in a tortilla...

    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  8. The jalfrezi looks delicious ISG. Perfect for a cold snowy day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks Lovely Indo... The picture has come outvery well and tempting me to try it out..

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's a really pretty dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! love bell peppers. I was looking for a good stir-fry recipe recently. Yours sounds great!

    BTW - thanks for the comment on indianthali. Great to know you live in the d.c. area. Will certainly get in touch with you to learn more about the place. I know you are one of the admin at desimomzclub. I am excited that we will be in the same area. May be, going forward we could have a get together with all the desimoms from that area who blog...Would be nice to meet you. We will be in McLean, VA. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a colorful, pretty looking dish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this one looks yummy !
    thanks for sharing. seems healthy too !
    keep on sharing such lovely recipes...
    -Pooja

    ReplyDelete
  14. very colourful dish ISG. i have never made jalfrezi till now. recently i had it from one of the take-aways n absolutely loved it. gonna try ur recipe this weekend n will give u my verdict:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now, that picture makes me want to grab a bite.

    Maybe I'll go and make my own. :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. hai,
    i never made jalfrazie,after looking at the pics and recipies
    i was tempted to make.i will check if i have capsicum in my fridge,thank u

    ReplyDelete
  17. ISG, tried leaving a comment three times now. The universe is against me! Couldn't find an email address for you so posting here...Comments to my newest post got disabled and I didn't notice. Sorry about that! Now I'm itching to know what you had to say :-D

    I'm glad I came here cos your jalfrezi is beautiful! I can relate to your using Chicken masala powder instead of regular garam masala - I do that all the time! I didn't have you in my feeds - added you now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. made this for dinner today since i had got the requisite 3 peppers.even my pepper disliking son liked it! i didn't add potatoes and beans, but added spinach. the meat masala makes a difference. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.