The New Year has arrived, and time for New Year resolutions. Mine does change year to year, some years there is only one that being - lose a few pounds and eat healthy. Reducing carbs is also high on the list but going cold turkey will not work for sure, end result craving which will do more harm. So find ways to add more protein and cut down the carbs and weaning slowly from rice. My first attempt on New Years was this Moong Dal Spinach Sundal(poriyal). Nothing fancy but to borrow Vaishali's phrase a Ton of Protein. So Ton of Protein is what came to my mind and it tasted, well a 8 and 2 year old polishing it off without a murmur should speak for itself.
1. 2,10oz boxes of frozen spinach thawed(substitue with Thandu keerai or any greens)
2. 1 medium sized onion chopped
3. 1 or 2 cups moong dal cooked and drained(should not be mushy mine turned a little mushy)
4. 2 Red Chillies split in half and seeds removed.
4. seasonings (1 tbsp urad dal, cumin, mustard ,curry leaves)
5. 1/2 tsp of oil
6. 1 tbsp coconut (optional) (I did not add)
1. Heat oil in a wide mouthed pan, add urad dal when it starts to brown add cumin, mustard and curry leaves.
2. When the mustard starts to splutter add the onion and when the onions starts to brown add the Red chillies and the thawed spinach and cook for a few minutes
3. When the water is almost gone add the Moong dal, enough salt and cook till all the water is gone.
4. When you are ready to turn off the heat add the coconut if doing so.
Serve with chappathis or just by itself.