Wishing you a very Happy,Prosperous and Peaceful New Year!
Having purchased a big bag of potatoes and seeing sprouts on some of them had to cook them fast. I also had a bag of fresh baby spinach and did not want to let that rot. I cook potatoes with spinach or methi leaves but usually as a dry side dish the reicpe for which I learnt from friend A. This time I wanted a little bit of gravy, so it was this recipe.
1. 6 Medium potatoes peeled and cubed
2. 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
3. 1 Red Onion chopped
4. 1 roma tomato chopped
5. 1/2 inch piece ginger
6. 2 red chillies
7. 4 garlic chopped
8. 1 tsp of garam masala (optional)
9. 1 tsp turmeric powder
10. 2 tsp oil
11. seasonings - cumin
1. In a pan heat 1/2 tsp oil, saute half the chopped onion, when it starts to brown add the red chillies and ginger and the tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are soft. Transfer to a blender and blend to a smooth paste
2. To the same pan add the rest of the oil, season with cumin and add the rest of the onion. Saute till translucent.
3. Add the Potatoes, saute add salt and cover and cook for a few minutes. When they are half cooked add the chopped spinach and saute till the spinach starts to wilt.
4. Now add the ground mixture and about a tablespoon of water, turmeric and garam masala, cover and cook till the potatoes are soft and the masala coats all of the potatoes.
Serve with Chappathis.