What do you do on a cold rainy night, long for some warm soup ofcourse with some crunch on the side. I searched for recipes of Sweet Corn Soup and found this one. I got the general idea from here and modified it a little bit. If you have one too many tortillas lying around you have the ingredients for some crunchy tortilla chips. Want to make the soup a meal by itself, that is easy too, you could follow Revathi's Chicken Barley Soup idea from here and add some barley. The nutty texture of barley will make it a hearty soup for sure.
Spicy Corn Soup
1. 1 cup of Corn kernels cooked (I cooked it in a pressure cooker)
2. 1 cup of water
3. 1/4 red onion chopped fine.
4. 1 pod garlic smashed and minced
5. 1/2 tbsp of tomato paste
6. 1 tbsp of spicy tomato ketchup (substitue with chilly or chilly garlic sauce)
7. 1 tsp pepper powder
8. salt to taste
9. 1/4 tsp ghee
10. cilantro for garnish
11. 1/2 cup cooked Barley (optional)
1. Reserve 1/4 of the corn and make the rest into a paste
2. In a pot, heat oil/ghee and saute the onions and garlic
3. Add the ground corn and the tomato paste and tomato ketchup,water and salt.
4. Boil till it starts to get thick or the consistency you desire is reached.
5. Mix the reserved corn kernels (and the barley if adding) boil for a few more minutes
6. Sprinkle the pepper powder.
7. garnish with cilantro
1. Tear the Tortilla into 8 pieces
2. Put in a toaster oven till it gets crunchy.
3. Sprinkle salt and pepper (optional)
Here it is a simple and quick soup for a cold day.
On a slightly different note, we watched "Closer" an oook kind of movie in my opinion. I now want to see "Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna" which I believe is a take off of the afore mentioned English movie want to see how Bollywood tackled this Hollywood subject.