The girls tied the soccer game and dear daughter scored the goal that tied the game, she was the goalkeeper when the other team scored so a celebration was warranted. Eating is not one of her favorite things to do, but Chicken Briyani is different it happens to be her favorite and the little one is also developing a taste for it. I love cooking it because it is quick and easy. On a hot summer day I don't like turning on the oven to cook the Briyani but the pressure cooker works great. I am a big fan of the pressure cooker when things need to be done quickly. And if you have to carry lunch to work Chicken Briyani tastes even better the next day.
1. 1lb of chicken cut into bite sized pieces and washed with turmeric powder
2. 2 Red Onions sliced thin
3. ginger garlic paste 8 garlic pods and 2 inches ginger (I toast the ginger and garlic in a little bit of oil and then make them into a paste)
4. 8- 10) green chillies
5. 2 juicy tomatoes diced finely
6. 2 cups of mint and corriander leaves chopped
7. 2 cups Basmati rice (Rice:Water 1 : 1 1/2)
8. 1 tsp each of chilly powder, cumin powder and corriander powder (optional chicken masala powder about 1 tsp)
9. seasonigs, cumin, cinnamon, cloves (3), saunf, bay leaves, curry leaves
10. 4-5 tsp oil and 2 tsp ghee
1. In the pressure cooker or a pan which is big enough to hold the rice, pour the oil and ghee and when it is hot add all the seasonings and saute.
2. In a separate pan add about 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil
3. Add the onions and fry till they are brown.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry them well.
5. Add the green chillies and the mint and corriander leaves and saute til the leaves have wilted completed.
6. Add all the powders and mix well.
7. Add the tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
8. Now add the Chicken pieces and required salt and cook them till the chicken is 3/4th done.
9. Add the basmati rice and mix well till they are coated with the masala.
10. Add the boiling water and check if the salt is enough and cook the rice till they are almost done.
11. Add a 1 tsp of ghee on top and close the lid and keep the flame in low medium for 5 minutes. Switch of the cooker off and remove from the stove.
if using a pan close the lid and cook till the rice is done but towards the end make sure the rice does not stick to the bottom
Serve with Cut Onion rings and lemon and Raita (onion raita is the best)