Peerkangai is one of those vegetables that tastes good however they are cooked. I am amazed I used to for some reason not like this taste. Here in the US even seeing this vegetables in grocery stores makes me happy. This dish goes with well with rice. Peerkangai has a thick skin which I have removed for this recipe. The skin can be saved and made into chutney. If the peerkangai is tender seeds don't have to be removed, but if you see well formed seeds when you cut in half it is best to remove all of them, the seeds taste bitter.
Peerkangai (Ridge Gourd) Kuzhambu
1. 2 Medium sized Peerkangai skin removed and diced
2. 1/2 red onion diced
3. 3 green chillies
4. 1 garlic
5. 1/4 tbsp cumin powder
6. 1/2 tbsp corriander powder
7. 1/4 tbsp sambhar powder
1. In a pan pour some oil and when hot add the diced onions and fry till cooked.
2. Add the diced garlic and green chillies, let the garlic cook a little bit.
3. Add the powders mix well.
4. Now add the diced peerkangai and salt.
5. Cover the pan and cook on low heat till the Peerkangai is cooked.
6. Cool the peerkangai and in a food processor let the blades swirl for a rough chop or blend with a hand blender.