Last week I dragged along DD2 to the grocery store. I don't risk doing that because I might end up buying half the store. As expected she walked towards the lady offering something hot out of her oven for tasting and then comes running over to me saying we got to buy some Portobello mushrooms since the pizza made with them tasted really good. Initially I thought the portobello mushrooms were added on to the pizza as topping. Nope! The broad and flat portobello mushroom was the base and then you top it. Excellent I thought especially for the girl who loves mushrooms. Helpfully she also brought me a pack of 4 portobello mushrooms.
So if you want to go gluten free on your pizza here is what you need to do. Grab some portobello mushrooms. No sticky dough to deal, no pulling and tossing to deal with. All you need is a toaster oven for a quick treat. A cast iron or a flat griddle will work as well.
I used the cool method described in this post. Make a quick stand so the mushroom does not rest in its juices and get soggy. Use aluminum foil to make a ring that the mushroom can sit on. The process is well explained in the link above.
|Get the ring ready with aluminum foil. Prepare and get the mushroom ready.|
|Place the cheese, tomatoes and basil leaves on the mushroom.|
|Roast in preheated 400F oven for 20-25 minutes.|
Delicious and gluten free pizza ready. Need I say DD2 was thrilled.
Portobello Mushroom Pizza
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
- 4 portobello mushrooms washed and stem trimmed
- 1 cup or more of cheese of choice (I used Pepper Jack Cheese)
- 2 tomatoes thinly sliced
- a handful of basil leaves
- pickled jalapeno peppers (optional)
- Clean, dry and trim the stems of the mushroom. Flip the mushroom so the smooth side is on the bottom.
- Place thinly sliced cheese on the mushroom, tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Add the jalapeno peppers on top.
- Place the foil ring and the mushroom on top and into the toaster oven heated to 400F. Bake for about 20-25 minutes till the cheese melts and the mushroom softens.
- Note: If using a regular oven make 4 rings and preheat the oven and place all 4 mushrooms at the same time.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!