Leafy green vegetables (spinach & kale), mushrooms, dried fruits like dates and obviously meats like chicken and beef are all good sources of iron. An iron powerhouse is liver but it is not a good idea to eat liver everyday but occasionally like once a couple of weeks or once in a month should be beneficial. Here is a link for the iron content in everyday foods.
Everyone in our house likes livers be it chicken or goat liver. Even then it is delicious to eat it once in a way. Quick to cook and works very well in a quick meal in a bowl along with some roasted vegetables and corn or rice.
The recipe is very simple with onions, ginger, garlic and some spice powders. The bowl is easy to make with some boiled corn, roasted vegetable and some black bean - chipotle style. Makes a filling and very comforting meal.
Chicken Liver - Quick Meal Bowl
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 lb of chicken liver
- 1/2 cup of sliced onions
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 2-3 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder + 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp of oil
- Seasonings: cumin seeds and fennel seeds
- half a lime (optional)
- Wash and cut it into bite size pieces if required and drain the water completely. Pat dry or let sit in a colander.
- Add oil and when hot add the seasonings followed by the onions. Saute till the onions start to turn brown. Add in the garlic and ginger and saute for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the liver, gently mix it into the onions and saute for a couple of minutes. Add in the turmeric, chili, coriander, cumin and pepper powders. Toss to mix and when the liver is cooked and if using squeeze the lime over, toss and turn off the heat.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!