Here is the recipe for the long process Idly 101, if that is what you want. At other times when you want steaming idlies quick and fast here is the perfect recipe.
A friend had made it and till it was mentioned I had no idea that it was rava idli. Normally I use the Quaker Cream of Wheat which is not exactly white and has some brown flecks in it. The Indian ravai on the other hand is white and really fine. If you use the Indian kind you cannot easily differentiate between the two types of idlies. Whichever kind you choose to use follow the proportions exactly is what my friend instructed me is the way to make soft and fluffy idliies. Overcooking the rava idli will make it hard and chewy.
|Mix together the cream of wheat with the yogurt.|
|Pour into greased idli molds and steam for 6-7 minutes.|
There is no recipe that can be quicker and easier than this. Correct?
Rava Idli Recipe
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:15 minutes
- 1 heaping cup of Cream of Wheat or Sooji or White Rava
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups of yogurt from 1% milk or butter milk (see Notes:)
- 1/2 cup of water
- Using a whisk or fork mix together the dry ingredients (1-3).
- Whisk together the yogurt/buttermilk and water to smooth.
- Now gently fold in the yogurt mixture into the cream of wheat and with a few strokes as possible.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Let the water in the idli pot come to a boil.
- Now apply oil to the idli mould and pour the batter. For my idli mould I got about 16 ildies from the 1 cup of rava.
- Once the water has come to a boil, place the idli mould and steam for 7 minutes and no more. Turn off the heat and let sit for another 6-10 minutes before unmoulding them.
- Note:Add water depending on the thickness of the yogurt. For yogurt from 1% milk, for 1 1/2 cups of yogurt add 1/2 cup of water. If it is 2% or full milk yogurt a little less yogurt and more water and so on.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!