While the cooking and eating won't stop we are going to miss her when we cook one of her favorites :( Is the recipe I am going to talk about one of her favorites? Not exactly but it is a tasty one. I used bottle gourd but of course you can use orange pumpkin, butternut squash, Delicata or Acorn squash.
I had some bottle gourd and wanted something different from the usual recipes and chanced upon this one with Channa Dal and Pumpkin. For once I avoided using the pressure cooker for this recipe other than for cooking the dal.
|Cook the onions, ginger and garlic with the tomatoes till the tomatoes are mushy.|
|Add the potatoes and bottle gourd and once cooked add in the cooked dal.|
Channa Dal with Bottle Gourd
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup of channa dal (kadalai paruppu)
- 1 medium sized bottle gourd peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup of diced red onions
- 1 1/2 cup of chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 inch piece of ginger grated
- 2 cloves of garlic grated or diced
- 2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 4 split green chilies
- 2 tsp of Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp of red chili powder
- seasonings: cumin seeds and mustard seeds
- handful of coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp of oil
- couple of pinches of roasted fenugreek powder
- Cook the channa dal either on the stove top or in a pressure cooker. Take care not to cook it to mush.
- In a wide mouthed and slightly deep pot add the oil and when hot add the seasonings. When the mustard starts to pop add the onions and slit green chilies.
- Saute the onions till they turn translucent. Add in the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add in the tomatoes and saute till they turn mushy. Add the turmeric and chili powder.
- Add the diced bottle gourd and potatoes, saute for 3-4 minutes. Add 1 cup of water and cook till the potatoes and bottle gourd are completely cooked. Takes about 10 minutes or so.
- Add in the cooked channa dal and salt. Let cook for another 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle the coriander leaves and the fenugreek powder.
Serve with rice or even with chapathis.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!