Now on to the recipe,
There are as many types of kurma as there are combinations of what vegetables go into the kurma. I started with the idea of making potato kurma but ended up with a mixed vegetable kurma. A mixed vegetable kurma made with a variety of vegetables is much more interesting and can be a side for idli or dosai or roti or paratha. The consistency of a kurma can be thick or thin depending on your preference. If making kurma for idli or dosai make it slightly thinner than you would for chapathi or roti.
|Saute the ingredients for the spice paste. Now in the pressure cooker add oil and the seasonings.|
|Add in the chopped mixed vegetables. Add in the spice paste and mix it into the vegetables. Add salt.|
|Add in enough water, coriander and pressure cook for a whistle.|
Mixed Vegetable Kurma with Coconut and Poppy Seeds
Preparation Time: minutes
Cooking Time:10 minutes
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions or shallots
- 1/4 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups of mixed vegetables cut into 1 inch cubes - Potatoes, carrots, beans and 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- seasonings - cumin and fennel seeds about 1/4 tsp each
- salt to taste
- 2 -3 tsp of oilFor the Paste
- 1/2 cup of red onion or shallots chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1/2 tbsp of poppy seeds
- 4 tbsp of fresh or frozen grated coconut
- 4-6 red or green chilies
- handful of chopped coriander leaves
Make the spice paste
- First let's get the paste ready. In a saute pan heat a tsp oil and add the onion and chilies and saute till the onions start to turn brown.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute more.
- Add in the poppy seeds and coconut and saute for a minute more.
- Let cool and add a couple of tbsp of water and blend to a fairly smooth paste and set it aside.Make the Kurma
- In a pressure pan add the rest of the 2 tsp of oil. When hot add the seasonings and let it saute for 1/2 a minute. Add in the onions and when translucent add the tomatoes and saute till they become bushy.
- Add in the chopped vegetables and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the spice paste and saute for a couple of minutes. Add salt. Now add about 2 cups of water or more. Let come to a boil. Add the coriander leaves.
- Close the lid and cook for 6-8 minutes on medium heat or for 1 whistle whichever comes first.Serve with flat breads or idli or dosai.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!