I saw the recipe for the Kale and Quinoa Cakes in Wegmans' menu book using their prepackaged or prepared vegetables. Using that as a guide I made it a bit more spicier than the recipe. I steamed most of the vegetables whereas the recipe had called for just diced or raw finely chopped vegetables but raw. It is of course a very simple process to make these Quinoa cakes.
The only trick is to cook the Quinoa nice and fluffy without making it a soggy mess. Not to worry I have the exact way to cook quinoa. The original recipe had used what is called diced Mirepoix and also eggs. I skipped the eggs and added just carrots and beans. Peas, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and if you like it celery are all vegetables that could be added to the mix. While these quinoa cakes are perfect as a snack, they are filling enough for lunch or dinner.
|Prepare the vegetables for steaming. I used my trusty old pressure cooker.|
|Cook the quinoa as per instructions. In a food processor or chop the steamed vegetables along with the onions and green chilies.|
|Proceed with chopping the rest of the vegetables.|
|Blanch the kale and squeeze the water out and chop it using the food processor. Add the spice powders,oil and salt to the cooked quinoa.|
|Add the mashed vegetables and shredded kale leaves and mix it into the quinoa.|
|Shape the quinoa cakes by taking a ball and patting in the palm of the hand to flatten a little bit.|
|Place the shaped quinoa cakes on a greased baking sheet and bake in a 350F oven for about 40 minutes till set and slightly brown on the outside.|
Kale and Quinoa CakesLike what you are reading? Subscribe!
Preparation Time:30 minutes
Baking Time:40 minutes
- 1 cup of Quinoa (any color you prefer, I used white)
- 1 bunch Kale (makes about 1- 1 1/2 cups when blanched and shredded)
- 1 Potato
- 2 cups of chopped green beans and carrots combined
- 5-6 green chilies
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder or any masala powder
- 1/2 tbsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
Serve with any sauce on the side.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook the quinoa nice and fluffy as per directions. Meanwhile steam the green beans and carrots and potato in a pressure cooker/steamer.
- Once the veggies are cooked squeeze the water out, peel the potato and using a food processor or chopper chop the potatoes along with onions and green chilies. Set aside.
- Blanch the kale in steaming water and squeeze out the water. Run through the food processor/chopper to chop into smaller pieces.
- Add the spice powders ,salt and olive oil to the cooked quinoa along with the chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Take a small handful of the quinoa mixture, first making a round ball and then patting with the palm of the hand to flatten it a bit.
- Place the shaped patties on to a greased baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes till it is firm.