The thing about frittata is you can add any vegetables to the mix. The recipe had potatoes and prosciutto. I do not have prosciutto at home usually nor any other cold or smoked meat so I skipped that. I had green bell pepper, a red one would have made the dish prettier. The recipe called for Gruyere cheese but I did not have that either. Instead I had paneer which needed to be used and it worked well with the eggs.
Though this frittata is called a holiday frittata it is quick and easy enough to make for a quick breakfast or brunch.
|Dice the potatoes and bell pepper.|
|Heat the olive oil in the pan and add the potatoes and when half cooked, add the bell pepper and let it cook till the potatoes and bell pepper are soft.|
|Drain the cooked potatoes and bell pepper onto paper towels. Transfer the potato mixture onto the cast iron pan so it is in a single layer and spread the shredded cheese on top.|
|Whisk the eggs till it is nice and frothy and add the diced paneer and jalapenos.|
|Pour the egg mixture onto the potato and bell pepper and bake in a 350F heated oven for 8-12 minutes till set.|
|Let cool for about 5 minutes or so, cut into wedges and serve.|
Holiday Breakfast FrittataLike what you are reading? Subscribe!
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Baking Time:15 minutes
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Potato peeled and diced - 1/2 inch dices
- 1 Green (or Red) bell pepper - 1/2 inch dices
- 1 tsp red chili powder + 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapenos
- 1/2 cup shredded paneer (or any cheese)
- 1/2 cup finely diced paneer (or any cheese)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp of water
- salt to taste
- Heat a saute pan (see note:) and add the olive oil and when hot add the diced potatoes and let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. The potatoes would be half cooked at this point, add in the diced bell pepper and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the red chili powder and salt and cook for a couple more minutes till it is fully cooked. Drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread the potato, bell pepper mixture on to an oven proof pan, I used a cast iron pan in a single layer, and spread the shredded cheese on the potato and bell pepper.
- Break the eggs into a dish, sprinkle the black pepper and salt and whisk till it becomes nice and frothy. Add in the diced jalapenos and diced paneer.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the potato mixture and bake for 8-12 minutes or till the eggs are set.Serve with a spicy sauce or tomato ketchup. Note:
- Cast iron pan works best because it can go in the oven. If you do not have a oven proof saute pan, use a flat baking dish.
- I reduced the eggs by half a dozen. For the size of the pan I used 1 dozen would have nice and thick frittatas.