I came across this Olive Oil Pumpkin Bread in the Washington Post Food Section. As I saved the paper I knew I was going to make it with Acorn Squash instead of the the pumpkin. I had an Acorn Squash sitting on the counter top ready to be used.I roasted the Acorn Squash for the puree. Roasting squash or pumpkin is a very easy process. Look here for how to roast Squash and extract the pulp/puree.
|Whisk together the dry ingredients. Beat the eggs till it is nice and frothy.|
|Add palm sugar to the egg mixture.|
|Add honey and the squash pulp.|
|Add olive oil and mix them all together.|
|Pour the batter into a greased 9 inch rectangular pan. Bake for 50 minutes till a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool and cut into slices.|
This is an easy bread to make, soft and delicious and not too sweet.
Olive Oil Squash Bread
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:55 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp of powdered dried ginger
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of palm sugar (substitute with brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup of Acorn Squash puree
- Preheat the over to 350F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients - whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and ginger powder.
- In a cup beat the 2 eggs till it is nice and frothy. To this mix in the sugar, honey, squash pulp and olive oil. Mix them altogether.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix it till fully mixed using as few strokes as possible.
- Grease a 9inch baking pan and pour the batter in.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack till ready to slice.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!