The same spice powder can be used for most vegetables. It also works good in carrot,green beasn and peas (or fresh beans) poriyal.
|Saute the eggplants till they are cooked. Roast the spices.|
|Roast the coconut and combined with the other spices powder to a fairly smooth powder.|
|Add the spice powder, saute for a few more minutes till done.|
Podi thoovi Kathirikkai Poriyal - Eggplant Stirfry with powdered spices
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:20 minutes
- 6-8 medium sized brinjals/eggplants - 3 cups thinly sliced eggplants
- 1/2 cup of sliced onions
- seasonings - mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies and curry leaves
- 1-2 tsp of oil
- salt to tasteFor the Spice/Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp roasted channa dal - dahlia - pottu kadalai
- 4-5 red chilies
- 1 tbsp grated coconut fresh or frozen
- Dry roast the spices for the spice powder one by one till they are slightly browned. Set aside. Lower the heat when roasting the coconut.
- Cool and blend to a fairly smooth powder. Set aside.
- In a wide mouthed pan add oil and when hot add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to pop add the curry leaves and red chilies followed by the onions and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add the sliced eggplants and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add salt cover the lid and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Stir at regular intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom.
- Add salt and continue to cook for another 4 minutes or so till the eggplant is completely cooked. (see note:)
- Now add the powdered spice and add a 1/2 tsp of oil if required and saute for a couple of minutes more and turn off heat.
- Note: Depending upon the type of eggplant used the cooking times may vary. Sprinkle a tsp of water at a time and cook till the brinjal is completely cooked. Do not get the vegetable soggy.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!