Dear Reader Wishing you all a Very Happy Tamil New Year!
வாசகர்களுக்கு இனிய தமிழ் புத்தாண்டு நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்
Preparation Time: 10 - 20 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Paasi Paruppu Payasam - Moong Dal Kheer Ingredients
- 1 cup roasted paasi paruppu (split green gram dal, I used one with skin, yellow works fine too)
- 2 tbsp of raw rice wash and soak in about 4 tbsp of water
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of jaggery (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 2 tbsp of regular sugar (I used turbinado sugar)
- 2 cardamom pods (soak it with the rice)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of grated fresh or frozen coconut
- 2 tbsp of ghee (skip for a vegan version)
- 1/4 cups of cashews and golden raisins
- Cook the moong dal preferably in a pressure cooker with 2 1/2 cups of water till it is soft and mushy
- Blend the coconut,soaked rice with the water and the cardamom to a smooth paste. You could set aside some of the grated coconut aside for garnish.
- Make a syrup with the jaggery (no string requirements here just let the jaggery dissolve so it is easier to remove the impurities) with about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of water)
- Mash the moong dal with the back of the spoon, add the rice-coconut mixture and the jaggery syrup into and in medium low heat cook it for another 5-10 minutes till it thickens up a bit. (If you have added a bit more water cook it a bit longer till it thickens. Add the ghee about 1 1/2 tbsp towards the end of the cooking time.
- As that cooks roast the cashews and raisins till they are golden and when ready to switch of the heat add it in.