The folks in the South and Mid-West who are voting for Sanitorium - there are women voting for him too right? If you have only listened to Newt, Sanitorium and RL you would not be surprised to read a manifesto that reads like something below:
1. I love Hypocrisy - moral values is for the next man not for me. ( I can cheat on my wife and ask for an open marriage but I will do everything in my power to get the other guy disgraced)
2. I admire Dishonesty - It is OK for me mislead and collect government money (like homeschooling kids in one state and collecting money from another state) but I would call people on welfare all sorts of names and consider it socialism.
3. Women should stay at home and cook, clean and give birth to kids - exception when they are from my own family.
4. I as a man will like to take control of every women's womb and what makes me so smug is because women who have their brains washed also support it.
5. It is fair for people with pre-existing conditions to pay higher insurance premiums as long as they are not my own children and I am not one paying the premium.
6. Conservation of the earth's resources is a crime against humanity.
7. Advocating higher education for all makes you a snob and an elitist though I hold multiple degrees.
8. I am a deeply religious person and I will wage indiscriminate war against anybody and anything that comes in my path. War under false pretexts is all par for the course. I would lie to go to war.
9. I think just by talking my country will become great and if anyone suggests that the steps to keep this country involves hard work, better education and innovation I will call him/her a traitor.
10. I am beholden to billionaires and millionaires but I will stress my blue collar roots which unfortunately belong to my grandfather or great grandfather and pretend that I will do everything to help blue collar workers though I know the poor blue collar worker has no chance once he votes for me. My paymasters belong to a different class altogether and they unlike you the blue collar worker will need favors for the millions they bestowed on me.
That was fun writing but it also scary because I do not think any of it was written with tongue in cheek it is the sad truth.
I bet you are ready to move on to the recipe?
A few days of eating Pasta, sandwiches, soups and the mouth starts to crave for some spicy, coconutty gravy with a bit of sour taste thrown in. The spices and masala works great with cauliflower and potatoes. I had some Taro root and decided to use that instead of the potatoes.
Taro Root and Cauliflower Gravy
1. 4 Medium sized Taro root cooked till just about done but not mushy. Peel the skin cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds and set aside.
2. 1 head of cauliflower separated into florets (about 2 cups)
3. 1/4 cup of chopped red onions
4. 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
5. 1 medium tomato chopped fine
6. 1 tbsp of grated fresh ginger
7. salt to taste
8. seasonings: cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves
9. 2 tsp of turmeric powder
10. 2-3 tsp of oil
For the Paste
1. 1/4 cup of roughly chopped red onions
2. 1/2 tbsp of coriander seeds
3. 5-6 red chilies or 1 tbsp red chili powder
4. 2 tbsp of grated fresh or frozen coconut
1. In a pan heat a bit of oil, roast the coriander seeds and red chilies till they start to turn brown. Set aside.
2. Add the onions and saute till they are starting to turn brown.
3. Add in the coconut saute for a minute and set aside.
Cool and blend to a paste.
1. In a wide mouthed vessel add the oil and when hot add the seasonings, add in the onions and saute till they turn translucent.
2. Meantime in a shallow saute pan heat some more oil and roast the cooked taro root till the outside turn brown and it is sealed.
3. To the onion add the garlic, cauliflower and turmeric and let cook for 4-5 minutes.
4. Add the ginger saute for a minute and then add the tomatoes and let it cook till they turn mushy.
5. Now add the blended paste with 1 cup of water. Let it cook and come to a boil.
6. At this stage add in the taro root and salt and let cook for a few more minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 1/2 hour before serving.
Serve with rice or like we did it is a good side for chapathis as well.