Tip 1: Dried mint in cupboards keep bugs away. Healthy and safe way to keep those critters at bay.
Tip 2: A few cloves or/and a few pods of cardamom in rice or dal keeps most bugs away.
Tofu is not a big favorite and in the same category falls broccoli. If I had an option I would not pick either of them voluntarily. The kids like broccoli when it is roasted with some chili/sambhar powder and salt as for Tofu the best liked recipe is Sig's Tofu Scramble. But this recipe looked like something to try, tofu and broccoli not withstanding.
It made for an excellent light meal stuffed into some Pita bread or just by itself. The soft tofu with the crunchy vegetables and the spicy sweet peanuts made it an excellent pita sandwich.
Recipe Source: Caramelized Tofu Stir Fry
1. 1 Pack Extra firm Tofu
2. 1 Head of broccoli broken into florets
3. 1/2 Orange Bell Pepper, 1/2 Yellow bell pepper deseeded and cut into strips
4. 1 tbsp chopped peanuts
5. 3 cloves garlic chopped fine
6. 1 tsp red chili powder
7. 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
8. 2 -3 tsp Thai chili sauce
9. salt to taste
10. 3 tsp oil
1. Squeeze the excess water from the tofu and cut into strips
2. Heat oil in a pan and when hot and in medium heat, lay the tofu strips and let them brown for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Turn them around and let them on the other side for a minute.
4. Now add the chopped garlic and chopped peanuts and gently stir fry till the garlic is cooked.
5. Add the brown sugar and about a tsp of the chili sauce and toss them around gently to coat the tofu pieces. Set them aside and close with a lid
6. Now add a tsp more oil and when hot add the broccoli and bell pepper strips, salt and stir fry till they are cooked but maintain their crunch.
7. Add a bit more of the chili sauce and toss around.
8. Add the tofu, sprinkle the chili powder and more salt if required.
9. Remove from the heat.
Serve in Pita bread with some Greek Yogurt on the side or spread on the Pita. Sprinkle more of the Thai Chili sauce is desired.