Saturday, April 5, 2008

Ragi Dosai, Banana Pancake and Arusuvai

Arusuvai from Linda
Linda's Arusuvai package arrived in the mail just a couple of hours ago. The Arusuvai Friendship chain was introduced in the US by Latha of Masala Magic . You know what members of the family are starting to get a little 'J' seeing all these packages arrive for mom at regular intervals from her friends! Linda those Maple Candies did the trick made them very happy and ofcourse they are very tasty. Bhararthy of Spicy Chilly writes about how it all started in the first place. Guessed the first mystery ingredient as mustard seeds, the second one looks like dried citrus. These goodies came with some shiny looking brown rice and some chutney powder - atleast that is what I think. Can you guess the second mystery ingredient for me?


Photobucket
What is the mystery ingredient?



Ragi Dosai
Ragi Dosai is a bit hard to make because it gets tough or soggy. My aunt taught me a little trick, mix a bit of wheat flour with ragi flour for softer and crispier ragi dosais. Proportions are as follows
1. 1/4 Cup old idli batter
2. 1/2 Cup Ragi flour
3. 1/4 Wheat flour
4. Salt to taste

Mix the above without any lumps and make dosais.
Let me know if this works for you.


Have been wanting to make my own pancake mix at home. Wanted to try it first over the weekend than put it to use on a busy week day morning. Though the taste was good I would stick to store bought pancake mixes till I can achieve the fluffy soft texture.


Photobucket
Banana Pancake with Feel good Berry syrup (rasberry and strawberry)


Banana Pancakes
1. 1/2 Cup wheat flour
2. 1/2 Cup Oat Flour (1/2 cup of powdered baby oats)
3. 1/4 Cup unbleached All Purpose Flour
5. 2 Eggs
6. 2 Bananas Mashed
7. 1 tsp of baking powder
8. 1/4 cup milk

Mix the above ingredients without any lumps.

9 comments:

  1. Could the dried ingredient be dried jackfruit by some chance?!
    -Nupur

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy the package arrived, and that the girls were pleased :) Banana pancakes with that berry syrup look great! I am not much of a baker, but I wonder if a dash of baking soda in there along with the powder might add what you're looking for. I think they look fluffy as they are, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely goodies in your mailbox :). The pancake is yummy, especially with the luscious strawberry topping!

    Dried citrus? To me it looked like jackfruit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. indo..they look good...actually I am not able to see the picture clearly!..

    hey and you know how i love dosa right..:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. After I read Nupur's and Musy's comments, it does look like dried young jackfruit pieces to me too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nupur and Musical and Sig jackfruit never occured to me.

    Linda the outside looks fine but inside was bit moist, the bananas perhaps? will have to try withouth the bananas too.

    Srivalli, post a clearer picture. When I capture a good picture of the dosai sending it over to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love that without the bananas, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats a lovely pancke and i guess tahts dried tender jackfruit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. came across ur blog nice one....is that lotus stem?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.