The Next best breakfast in the world
I had blogged about the Breakfast that DD considers the Best in the whole world and there is another one that came close. With kids when they like something only superlatives are used to describe them. Though Paniyarams are really easy to make, every time they are presented at breakfast it is considered special. A simple dish elevated to special status. Paniyarams and Coconut chutney go hand in hand but I did not have enough coconut so I suggested we make Tomato chutney but my mom recommended Thakkali Kuzhambu, this is a speciality in my ammayi's house and they taste great with Dosais. The Kuzhambu taste equally fantastic with Paniyarams and if I were to judge the taste by how fast DD devored them.
1. 2 Large Juicy tomatoes(chop the tomatoes bigger if you like to bite into them or fine if they should blended into the kuzhambu)
2. 1/4 Red onion chopped (or 15 Pearl onions sliced)
3. Seasonings: Curry leaves, mustard seeds
4. Corriander Leaves few sprigs
1. 2 Tbsp Corriander Seeds
2. 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
3. 2 Red Chillies
4. 2 Tsp Channa Dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
5. 1 Tbsp Coconut
6. 1/4 Cup Red Onions Chopped (or small red onions)
1. Heat 1/2 tsp of oil and fry 1-4 one by one, setting them aside as they are done
2. Add the Onions and saute till they start to turn brown.
3. Add the coconut and mix with the onions
Transfer to a blender and blend to a smooth paste
1. In a Kadai take about a tsp of oil and when it is hot add the seasonings,
mustard seeds followed by the curry leaves.
2. Add the onions and saute till translucent
3. Add in the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes
4. Add the blended paste and about 1 cup of water
5. Let the mixture boil till it reaches the consistency you desire.
6. Add salt and corriander leaves and switch off the heat after a minute.
I like it a little watery to eat with dosais or paniyarams.