Sunday, May 21, 2006

Bok Choy Stir Fry




On my visits to Asian Grocery stores I have always admired the rows and rows of green leafy vegetables thet have, alwasy fresh and available almost round the year but I had no idea how they can be cooked and never tasted them before. So on a recent visit to my friends house when I heard her mention about Bok Choy poriyal my ears perked up. Here is her recipe and I am glad to report that it tasted good, a little sour perhaps but all of us liked it. Thanks mol. It is a good source of Calcium so if you find drinking milk a chore like it is for her, this is a good way to get the much needed Calcium to your diet. They have several different varieties of Bok Choy, the one I have used is the Baby Bok Choy.


Bok Choy Stir Fry

1. Baby Bok Choy 3
2. garlic 2 pods (diced fine)
3. Red Pepper flakes 1/2 tsp (add more or less to your taste)
4. 1 tsp soy sauce (optional)
5. 1/4 tsp oil
6. salt to taste



Bok Choy (Cutting and Cleaning)

1. Make sure to clean the bok choy really well, it has a lot of fine sand.
2. Remove the leaflets one by one and cut them lengthwise can use both the white and the green part, chop just the bottom part.

Method:
1. Heat oil in a wok/pan and saute the garlic.
2. Add the cut bok choy with a little bit of salt.
3. Add the pepper flakes, cover the pan and let them cook a little bit.
4. Towards the end add the soy sauce.
5. Cook till tender about 8-10 minutes.

I liked it a little tender so cooked it a litle longer but if you like it crispy reduce the cooking time.

3 comments:

  1. I have tried it when I couldnt get any green leaf vegetables.This is a real good vegetable. Long time I cooked this,thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!! Never tried to cook with it myself..

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI ISN,
    Bok choy fry is yummy.
    Iam having squash in house iam going to try your chutney mainly horsegram added and squash poriyal.
    Normally ,mom makes horseradish charu(rasam),doing chutney is new to me.Definetly ,i have to try.Thank you.
    Vineela

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.